So it's been awhile since I posted a blog. Life has truly been on the go for me. After I got back on my feet from spraining my foot, it was back to the grind as usual. Entrepreneurs never sleep...LOL!! This is my life!
Now I know some of you lovely people know exactly what I'm talking about. You keep going & going like nothing major just happened to you. I tend to do this often but I have great friends & family around me to remind that I really need to take the time to process and/or reflect on what happened before I jump right in.
Many people (like myself) not only do this with their work but also with their emotions. When dealing with emotions, many often say to themselves that eventually they'll get over it but most times that doesn't happen.
So what does it look like when a person brushes off, pushes, or suppresses/holds their feelings?
Well it'll begin to look like a a shaken up soda can. It's been dropped, moved around, & tossed so much but it still looks good on the outside. As the old phrase goes "it takes a licking but keeps on ticking." By the time the soda can is opened that's when it finally explodes! That is pretty much how a person looks after having this happen to them. Holding in every feeling or not recognizing when something is truly bothering them, only for it to resurface at a later time. This is not healthy!
I was taught years ago (when I became a vegan & was learning about nutrition) that what goes into to your body must come out. This same rule applies to your emotions! When we do not release how we feel, it gets trapped in the body. Just like any life threatening disease that lies dormant in the body till it grows to a point where it can effect your health, your emotions can have the same effect on your body as well.
Keep in mind, we receive energy whether good or bad from all of the experiences we go through on a daily basis. With the state of this world now, some people often receive more negative energy with each passing day. It truly is enough to send your mind & your heart racing each & every second. But when we push aside how we feel, we are not allowing ourselves to do what our body would naturally do which is to "take it in, process it, and then release it!" When you do not follow through with the "process & release" part, you are basically just taking it & taking it! This is never a good thing.
So how to do you find a way to process & release these emotions you may have built up?
Well my suggestions would be to:
- Talk to someone who you trust or who can offer you support. Sometimes that person can offer you words of advice or just the comfort of listening to you & you being heard by someone. If you don't have anyone like that in your life then you can to go to a guidance counselor, a therapist, or your spiritual guide.
- If you are not someone who is good at expressing yourself verbally then start writing in a journal. Writing down how you feel gives you the opportunity to process your emotions & release those emotions that you have held inside of you. It doesn't matter if it's angry or harsh words, it is how "YOU" feel & it is "YOUR" truth so write it down.
- Allow yourself time to acknowledge how you feel & what and/or who made you feel these emotions. Having emotions (good ones & bad) is healthy & natural but it is all in how we process them. Being able to come to terms with these feels will help you to be able to process & release it from your life. You have to give yourself that time in order to be able to effectively move on from them.
- Incorporate meditation or pray into your life. When you take the time to focus/center your mind & heart on the idea of letting go of the negative to embrace the positive then you are allowing yourself to attract more of what you want to see happen in your life. Whether it be for 15 minutes or an hour, meditation or praying will make a world of difference.
- Create something! Being a crafty person doesn't have to be something you are good at but it can definitely help you to release your emotions in a creative way. One of my friends paints, another friend of mine makes jewelry, & I like to bake. You can do anything that will allow you to freely express your feelings. This is definitely great & fun therapy.
- Move!! Exercise is a great way to decompress & release built up emotions. It clears your mind & gets you moving which produces endorphins which helps make you feel better. You can dance it out alone in your room, go for a swim, take a walk with the dog, or take a kickboxing class. Any activity that gets you moving definitely is beneficial.
Remember having emotions whether they are good or bad is natural but being able to process & release them in healthy manner is what matters most. Make sure you find a way that is best & healthy for you to process & release them and you and everyone around will reap the benefits of this change you have made.
Stay Blessed Y'all & Remember You Can Do This!!!! Peace & Love!!!